E

Eames in a Box: A 1959 Spartan Carousel trailer with a fantastic circular kitchen

midcentury retro Spartan TrailerPrepare your eyeballs for this gem — a rare 1959 ‘Spartan Carousel’ trailer that, as its name suggests, includes a fabulous circular kitchen. This beauty was spotted for sale in Arizona and posted on the Vintage Mobile Homes for Sale Facebook page by midcentury travel trailer enthusiast Pete, owner of his own gorgeous 1964 Shasta Astroflyte trailer

midcentury retro Spartan TrailerFolks, this mid mod mad trailer has it all — amazing circular kitchen with warm wood cabinets, a pink wall oven and sink, lovely copper accents, pendant lights — and topping it all off (literally), a circular dropped ceiling with a cutout featuring a sputnik chandelier. Oh, and it has a pink bathroom, too. Overall, it looks to be in pretty good shape — with some sensitive restoration (get the white paint off that original coppertone backsplash, please!), we can then imagine redecorating this Spartan Carousel in any number of retro ways to make this the grooviest tiny house on the planet. Who else is ready to downsize?

midcentury retro Spartan TrailerI emailed the seller of the trailer, Steve, who was more than happy to let us feature this beauty on the blog. Thanks Steve!

Steve writes:

From what I know the trailer was purchased new in Mesa, Arizona, and then was moved up into Northern Arizona in its current location sometime in the late 1960’s or early 70’s. It has been used as a summer getaway/cabin since then, as it is up in the pines and 25-30 degrees cooler than Phoenix in the summer months.

midcentury retro Spartan Trailer
From the Craigslist post:

midcentury retro Spartan Trailer midcentury retro Spartan Trailer

I am selling our extremely rare 1959 Spartan Carousel 10 x 50 mobile home trailer. This vintage trailer is on three axles from the factory and can be moved. This vintage mobile home has been an Arizona trailer since new and has the original manuals, which are almost non-existent.

midcentury retro Spartan Trailer midcentury retro Spartan Trailer

If you are looking at this ad you likely are already fully aware of just how extremely rare the Spartan Carousels are. Only a few of these have been offered for sale in the past decade, and I have never seen another Arizona trailer listed at any point. Arizona gives you the advantage of no rust issues and pitting issues, due to the dry climate.

midcentury retro Spartan Trailer midcentury retro Spartan Trailer midcentury retro Spartan Trailer midcentury retro Spartan Trailer

This trailer has often been referred to as the ultimate midcentury tiny home or Eames in a box. You cannot get anymore midcentury modern or atomic in styling than this. This trailer would make a fabulous home-office, guesthouse or tiny house for full-time living. It is a one bedroom, one bath, with the living room and, of course, the stellar rounded kitchen with Sputnik lamp fixture.

The trailer is original and is never been restored. The interior has been painted, and the carpet part of the flooring has started to be removed so that new flooring can be installed. The trailer is sold in as, is-where is condition. The trailer is located in a park that is approximately three hours north east of Phoenix, Arizona.

$40,000 obo
Serious inquiries only please!!

midcentury retro Spartan Trailer

There’s even a pink bathroom!

Link Love:

• See the Craigslist listing for the Spartan Carousel trailer on the Northern Arizona Craigslist — NOTE, listing long gone, this story was from 2016.

1. Veronica says:

Emily, would love to hear more background story about your Carousel! Where did you find it? What shape was it in? And of course … pics! 😀

2. Danielle Beaner says:

I almost forgot how these old mobile homes looks inside, I remember my family used to live in one though not like this one.. but they were cool then and still are today. I hope who ever gets this will keep it as it is .. love the charm of the kitchen .. back then that was a modern looks kind of like the Jetson style curved counters and the lighting.. that is so awesome looking.. as well

3. Steve Montgomery says:

Hello,
    I am the owner of this Carousel and it is still available. Kate had been so kind in posting it on here but unfortunately my original craigslist ad continually got deleted. I would like to leave my contact email in case any interested parties would like to reach me in the event my ad gets deleted again as I have reposted it in Phoenix Craigslist. Thanks again to all of you on this site for your help and interest.
    Regards, Steve
    Rockabillykid75@yahoo.com

4. Jukesgrrl says:

Thanks for the update, Steve. Good luck in finding that special owner who will appreciate what you have.

5. Steve says:

Hi Jukesgrrl,
    Thank you! I will update you all once the carousel finds a new home. It is very important to me that it goes to an individual (s) who would like to preserve it and properly care for it. Thanks again, Steve

6. Margaret says:

I would also love to know more about your Carousel, do you have a blog or pictures online anywhere you can share??? Please, pretty please? Also, if you have any questions about your restoration you really should join Vintage Trailer Talk at http://vintagetrailertalk.freeforums.net/ I’m a member of the forum, restoring a 1957 Westerner Deluxe 15′ travel trailer, and this place is a really big help to those of us taking on the restoration of these gems. I know yours probably won’t be traveling, but it doesn’t matter, it was still built like a travel trailer and you would be very welcome. Anyone for that matter that is restoring a vintage trailer is very welcome and we have lots of professional restoration members who share their knowledge for free and with all.

7. pam kueber says:

Marc, no buying/selling here on the main blog or it would be chaos. In stories like these, look for the seller’s info in the body of the story. Brite bold blue text is a hotlink.

8. Kathleen Schnier says:

I saw this listing last year at this sight and on Craigslist. I would love to know if this trailer was purchased.