F

Family Hospitality Relaxation Unit — our third design of Relaxation Unit

family-hospitality-bathroom-3First we discovered Hall-Mack Relaxation Units … Then, Satin Glide Relaxation Units … And now, what is likely a very rare vintage recessed bathroom accessory: A “Family Hospitality” Relaxation Unit. Thanks so much for reader Kristopher for sending in three photos of this treasure! And: Oh my, what a gorgeous original bathroom you have, Kristopher!

family-hospitality-bathroom-1Kristopher wrote:

Hi Pam,

Our 1954 home in Wisconsin has a similar recessed toilet paper holder/magazine rack, but it looks to be a third brand? The label calls it “Family Hospitality – created for you by House of Hospitality” in No. Hollywood, Calif. A quick google search didn’t turn up anything, but I haven’t explored too far yet.

family-hospitality-bathroom-2

Everything in our master bathroom is original including wall tile, flooring, lighted medicine cabinet, Bathe-Rite free-standing shower stall, and Kohler Cerulean Blue fixtures.

vintage-cardboard-fireplace-for-christmas

We corresponded a couple years ago when my nephew was featured in a photo at Christmas time with our cardboard fireplace.

Loving the blog, as always!

Some day, it would be fun to research who was first with the idea for this type of bathroom fixture — House of Hospitality, Hall-Mack, or  Satin Glide? The Family Hospitality unit appears more complex in its design than the other two…  it looks more substantial … and the label says Patent Pending. I will bet: It was first to market, then Hall-Mack and Satin Glide created simpler designs.

Thank you, Kristopher! What a wonderful, historic woddity! I am not envious by nature, but this one: ooooooooh!

1. Phyllis says:

These units just crack me up, they are definitely “of a time”. Although I suppose the ashtray cubby could also accomodate a smart phone lol.

2. Carolyn says:

Do you think if owners researched their houses that maybe there’d be some clues? I’m thinking of those “Live Electric” homes in AZ from last year. Would there be specific features in the ads for new construction?
    Are any of the readers from North Hollywood/environs to do some research? Last I read here was the trail went cold on the “House of Hospitality”.

3. Debbie in Portland says:

My folks were born in the late 1910’s, and my mom’s family didn’t have an indoor bathroom until 1941. I’m guessing a lot of people who were building their own homes in the early to mid-1950’s grew up the same way. After all those years of having to brave the cold, the rain, the wind, or the snow to get to the outhouse, they probably felt that had earned the right to a luxurious, relaxing place to “do their business”.

More pictures of this bathroom, please! The words “everything is original” make me swoon. 🙂

4. Paula Webb says:

I 2nd Debbie, More pictures please! I am curious, what is the fixture to the lower right of the Relaxation unit? It looks like a drawer of some kind.

1. Kristopher says:

Pam is right, it is a vent for the main forced air furnace/AC. Every room has at least one, and some rooms have additional vents cut in. This bathroom is attached to the master bedroom and actually has its own additional furnace. This *is* Wisconsin after all. 😉

1. Allison says:

I have those vents! GE Airwalls. I refurbished almost all of mine to silver. Stripping 60 years of paint off of them was not fun. I’m happy to see a photo of them in someones house.

5. Glen H says:

I’ve a bunch of Australian House and Garden mags from the early to mid sixties, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen these advertised. I’ll have to check and see if they are the same brand or a knock-off

1. Glen H says:

Found it!
        Actually it was made by Malleys, who built a lot of metal ware for bathrooms and laundries.
        Similar layout, with dunny roll top left,space for ashtray top right , magazine rack below.
        Chromed brass structure, white enamelled steel inside, and was part of Malleys Luxury Line built in bathroom units.
        So similar, but not quite the same as the others.
        Found the ad in February 1965 Australian House and Garden.

6. Rick B says:

We had a very modern house in Albert Lea, Mn with this in our main bathroom. Also, our tile and fixtures were the same color as Kristopher’s. We also had a square bathtub. Sadly, we sold the house and it was gutted out, very sad

7. C Smith says:

What an amazing blog I’ve stumbled upon!! We have 2 of those in our house now. We haven’t been able to figure out what the top right smaller divided shelves were for, but embarrassingly enough, we do stow our iPhones there, for… ya know. Bad habit! Pam, I’m emailing you photos of ours including the original house plans with the Family Hospitality Units specified.