A

A tiny, beautiful pink bathroom — saved — for me!

I’ve been in Kentucky all weekend — my Dad’s 80th birthday is today — and while here, I’ve been staying with my brother and his family. About two years ago, they bought a 1962 midcentury modern house that needed a ton of work. They have now lovingly restored it — and it’s an absolute treasure. One of the things they left virtually untouched — for me — was the pink bathroom in their guest room. This pint-sized pink potty space is so darn cute I could bust! And the sink and toilet, in particular: These are spectacular designs!

Above: The sink, toilet and tub are all American Standard. It’s difficult getting the color right with my iphone camera. The fixtures are decisively pink!

The sink is quite tiny — a petite lavatory on beautiful, hefty chrome-plated steel legs with an integral towel bar. All the fixtures are in near-perfect shape. I don’t think the bathroom was used much over the years.

Above: I edited this photo to be black and white to spotlight the lines of the toilet. Gracious, I think I will declare this the most beautiful toilet design in American history. I am too lazy right now to go looking for historical info, but I am pretty sure this design was available for decades.

The wall tiles are salt-and-pepper. They are mud-set, I think. I tend to believe that salt ‘n pepper tiles came more into fashion around this time, the early 1960s. They are a nice way to do “white” but knocked down a bit so’s you don’t get a big slab ‘o white. Over the years, I’ve seen salt ‘n pepper tiles with a variety of ‘dots’ combinations: Golden combos, black combos, blue combos.

Note, when I retiled the bathrooms in my house, circa 2002, I had not started the blog yet… I did not know where to get Mamie pink bathroom tiles. If I had, for sure I’d have a B&W Tile pink powder room paradise in my own little palace!

I did go retro, though. One of my bathrooms has heron blue field tile, trimmed in white; another, rose beige trimmed in white; and the third, peach trimmed in black. And they all have wallpaper!

Above: There’s a recessed medicine cabinet, sliding doors.

Above: The floor is a random mosaic. I think you could replicate this one, more or less, using Dal-Tile’s Mosaic Design Tool. World of Tile used to have lots of 12″ x 12″ sheets like this, in colors like this, and older. Alas, the company is gone now.

dog-shower
Natalie and Graham’s doggie shower with Daltile Mosaic floor they designed.

More stories about designs using Daltile’s Mosaic Designer:

And:

It’s the honorary Aunt Pam’s Vintage Pink Bathroom! #sohappy

Ack! I need to make some art for the bathroom to thank my brother and his family! xoxo family!

Categoriespink bathrooms
  1. William S says:

I have the same toilet and I want to replace all the inner tanks workings. Is there any special part/parts particular to this tank or will any home improvemnet center parts work?

2. Rick G says:

I’m sure that all who are involved in these over done shows; are well aware of the brain washing campaign they continue to dish out – It’s never been about actual good style , or taste in design ; it’s about $$$$$$$ . Anyways that washroom rocks !!! – I think I would have had to sleep in the tub – thanks for sharing that Pam !

3. Mary Elizabeth says:

Too bad they aren’t listening! However, I have seen several episodes of “Property Brothers” and “Fixer Upper” in which they unscrewed the cabinets from the wall instead of smashing them and commented that the cabinets, while not stylish or conforming to the new owners taste, were in excellent condition and could be donated. Also, Joanna Gaines on “Fixer Upper” likes to find underlying structural elements (like shiplap that had been covered with something else) and old French doors stored in the basement, which she incorporates back into the new design. I’ve seen them carry out toilets and sinks, although I don’t know what happens to those afterward. But when they take out an enameled pink tub that was part of the original construction, they usually saw it in half to take it out, which DH tells me is because they are so heavy and too large to fit through a doorway whole.

Maybe if several readers of this site wrote in to HGTV and complained we could get something going.

4. Pam Kueber says:

William, I do not know. I’d recommend that you talk to the folks at deabath.com and see if they can give you advice.

5. Joe Felice says:

Looks like the bathroom is good to go! I’ve always thought gray and pink go well together. That toilet is a hold-over from the art-deco days, as much ’50s stuff was. I remember it was very common, but also remember that it used a LOT of water, and didn’t work that well. I note that someone replaced the seat. Newer round seats don’t fit the older bowl profile exactly, and it’s always hard to match the shade. Wooden toilet seats can be refinished with enamel paint, but few people would ever go to that trouble.

That floor was also super popular back in the day. I think they actually laid each little tile separately back then, but today, of course, patterns like that come in 1-foot squares.

6. Jeannie says:

It would be great to see an entire series on HGTV on retro renovation, but the current shows benefit large retail advertisers who sell all new everything. A retro renovation show would mainly benefit small businesses who still sell parts for old stuff, but who don’t have huge advertising budgets, so it won’t ever happen.
    Rehab Addict used to kind of do this, but eventually their focus drifted.

7. CarolK says:

I want a sink like that when we renovate our bathroom. Our tub is a pinky beige as is the lavatory which is set into a vanity. The vanity has seen better days and so has the lavatory, which has some rusty scratches in finish. We originally had a matching toilet, too, but replaced it with a white one years ago.

8. CarolK says:

The only renovation show I can happily watch is Nicole Curtis’s show which occasionally airs on HGTV in the morning, but it is more often found on DIY. It’s about restoring old homes, as Nicole puts it, to their former glory. Nicole salvages and restores everything she can in these homes that she’s often bought at rock bottom prices (like $1) to rescue them from the wrecking ball.

9. Phil says:

That’s a nice bathroom! my bathroom is also of similar colors, the fixtures are by Crane I think (at least the toilet is!).

Some things like the sink faucets have been replaced but it mostly remained as it was in the mid-1960s. The bath faucets are still original: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33723086@N02/33665476365/in/album-72157678548208043/

The floor tile isn’t as nice but it’s also original.

10. Dennis Faulkner says:

I love it! I really hate much of the new appliances, with only the boring colors – pink bathrooms and other retro colors are cool –

11. Laurie says:

My pink 1958 bathroom has seen a bit of remodeling by previous owners (hideous cabbage rose wallpaper border, big shiny row of globe lights for the vanity), but the toilet, sink, and tub are original American Standard. While I hope to remove the lights and wallpaper border, I love my bathroom. The tiles are pink with black and mint accents; the appliances are white. The day I dropped the toilet lid was devastating. Trying to find the right sized replacement was traumatic. Although the style (like your family’s tiny powder room fixtures) stayed the basically the same, I found out that sizes changed slightly over time. I finally found a pink lid that matched the tile and love the contrast to the white toilet. Where there’s a will there’s a way. I had to send to Florida to find one that matched my serial number, but not only was it worth it, but it was cheaper than the seller in the KC area. SO glad your family kept theirs!

12. linoleummy says:

Sweet! Please thank your brother for us too! And that floor I just might try to copy. Are the 2×2 tiles & the 1×2 ‘s the same color?

13. Pam Kueber says:

On a desktop computer, click on the photos and they will enlarge on screen. You can see the colors better.

14. Peggy S says:

Hi Pam,
    I have a home built in 1952 with original bathrooms, mudset 4×4 tile. The trim color is called Root Beer and I located a supplier for it at Claysquared.com. However, I cannot find the main tile color which is a salmon type color. I’ve searched at all the online sites mentioned here. Can anyone help?