V

Video: How I fixed my Kitchenaid KDS-21 — with help from Automaticwasher.org

The fixit for my vintage Kitchenaid KDS-21 dishwasher — “the last of the great Kitchenaids” — my “Hurricane in a Box” — was easy peasy — I had an answer in 10 minutes — yes: 10 minutes — once I asked the right people: the Imperial-forum experts at Automaticwasher.org. Watch my video — just  2 minutes long — to see the fix and hear a bit o’ the Hurricane! Thank you, Automaticwasherites, and especially, @toploader55!

1. Janet in ME says:

Pam, please update us. Is it continuing to run well with no leaks? My father, being a GE dealer, always swore by those old GE’s which were so much nicer years ago than the later ones. But letting them and washers sit was always taking a chance as often the hoses or connections would dry/shrink and leak. I sincerely hope that this didn’t/doesn’t happen to you. I think it looks wonderful and congrats on another great “old update”. I love my vintage 1958 40″ GE stove and will never part with it.

2. linoleummy says:

Niiiiice! SO much more appealing than any modern ones. And most excellent you fixed it yourself so you’ve bonded with it.

3. Kersten F. says:

Pam, I’ve been a long time reader, and this is one of my very favorite posts! The fact that the little plug fell when unloading AND you saw it fall, ANNDDDD you knew where you put it is fantastic! I have this uncanny knack to know where **everything** in our house is set, so this gives me unbridled glee! Hooray for knowing where to find itty-bitty important bits!

4. Karen says:

We had this a stand-alone model of your KA dishwasher growing up. It was only replaced last year due to a kitchen renovation. Too bad new dishwashers are not made to last.

5. Jay says:

Glad there’s a happy ending. Had to wait until I got home from work to view as such sites are blocked at work. Enjoy your new dishwasher, it looks right at home in your kitchen.

6. Jed D says:

I found a 1972 KA Imperial on Craigslist in copper-tone! I’ve been using it now for almost 10 years and I love it.

I also found an early 80’s model that was posted in the “Free” section of Craigslist….I had to pick it up that day because it was going out for trash pick up the next morning. I have it as a “reserve” in case I need spare parts.

7. cc says:

am I the only one who thinks that it would be super cute with a vintage floral design instead of the usual solid color? The panel is changeable so you can always go to a solid later if you get bored with a pattern.

8. Jeff K says:

Loud but mighty is exactly right. I usually get by only running mine on light wash and it does a great job. I usually don’t run the heated dry either because the water is heated up during the wash and the heat from that alone usually gets most of my dishes dry (and hot) when the cycle over.

Comments are closed.