U

Update: Where to find pink bathtubs and other color bathtubs

I spotted this New Old Stock Rheem-Richmond pink bathtub at an estate sale. Yum yum. I wonder what happened to it…

Update in January 2019 — I added another source for vintage colored bathtubs that I discovered in 2018 along with additional information and streamlining.

Cindy wrote to ask: Where to buy pink bathtubs? My answer was not an “easy” one: Salvage. Vintage. That’s where you get color bathtubs. No one makes them new, that I know of.

Cindy wrote:

Hello Pam,

I’ve been following your blog for a couple months and I’m about to begin my PINK bathroom remodel! 🙂

Thank you for this inspiration!

I have a home built in 1949 with some vintage bathroom & kitchen pieces but their not in the best condition.

I found the blog post on Kate’s pink bathroom remodel but there is no bath tub in her remodel.

Do you know of any maker of a pink bath tub to match a pink sink and toilet?

I will try to salvage my pink sink (picture attached) but hoping to find a bathtub too.

I think I read that Gerber or Kohler [Pam corrects: It’s Peerless] make the low flow pink toilet so I’m all set there.

Thank you so much.

Cindy

Writing this up also reminds me of another email that recently came in. The question was: Should I buy that pink toilet NOW even though I don’t need it yet, in case it is discontinued?

Should you buy the toilet now, in case it is discontinued: My answer: YES! Here today. Gone tomorrow. (For example, the Peerless colors were here today, gone tomorrow?) So: YES, grab your new pink toilet while you can, I’d say…

New Old Stock vintage Kohler bathtubs many colors
I spotted these New Old Stock vintage Kohler bathtubs on ebay and posted them right away. I do tend to write stand-alone stories when I find a big stash. To stay on top of all such stories — subscribe to my weekly newsletter.

Where to find vintage colored bathtubs:

1. Vintage is likely your best bet — stalk ReStore, craigslist, local and regional salvage places, and ebay:

The “easiest” way to find colored bathtubs is going be from someone else’s remodel. Places to check, locally and regionally: Craigslist, your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and architectural salvage companies. NOTE when considering vintage: Be aware of the potential for lead in old tubs, sinks, ceramics, etc. See my story on that issue here and linked on my Renovate Safe page.

On craigslist, you can also post what you are looking for in the “wanted” category. I got my bathroom sink this way — someone had an old bathroom sink, saved from a remodel, stored in their basement. For $65, I got the sink, the faucet, and original chrome metal legs with integral towel bars — just a 10-minute drive away.

2. Old school plumbing suppliers:

If you have a longtime plumbing supplier in your town — the larger your town, the more you might have — it’s surely worth a try. Give them a call and see if they have old stock in the way back. It’s worked for readers before!

3. Online New Old Stock sites:

Occasionally I get a tip from a reader, or otherwise discover, a hardware store that has unpacked a bunch of New Old Stock bathroom plumbing fixtures from the back of one of its warehouses. For example, this company still has some New Old Stock vintage bathtubs in color colors.

4. Refinish an old tub:

I am not an expert on refinishing old bathtubs with new color finishes. Previous discussions here indicate that finding companies that can do true re-porcelaining are scarce — and it’s likely to be very very expensive. I am not an expert on paint-like coatings: Consult with properly licensed professionals including researching any safety/toxicity issues involved in the proposed process as well as long-term durability guarantees. Note: Here on this blog, I don’t permit readers to make safety or environmental recommendations / opinions, and in general I don’t allow product reviews. See commenting guidelines. Be Safe / Renovate Safe.

5. Tile around the situation

If you are building a bathroom from scratch, but can’t find a new colored bathtub you like, you can consider tiling around the situation. That is: Get a white or off-white tub that is meant to be set in tile.

6. Stay in touch — I write about new stashes of NOS:

When I discover stashed of New Old Stock, I usually write a stand-alone story. A good way to stay on top of my finds is to subscribe to my weekly newsletter.

For more research on where to find stuff to restore or renovate a vintage bathroom, go to the Bathroom Help category at the top of the page. Click it. It will open a whole bunch o’ subcategories where you can dig in.

Good luck with all, Cindy! Let us know how it all turns out!

1. ken says:

You mentioned I had a Richmond kitchen sink. Richmond is not as well known to many of us like Standard, Crane or Kohler, but I find that they made high quality cast iron porcelain sinks. I actually have a few Richmond sinks, sold one two days ago and had one in my own kitchen for years. Unfortunately I do not have much for bathroom fixtures as I focus primarily on kitchen pieces. If I find a complete early and colored bathroom set I may invest in it, but seldom. I’d say any thing you find that is in good shape and has survived 50 or more years means you don’t have to worry about who made it. Grampas Antique Kitchen

2. ineffablespace says:

I was planning on a pink bathroom (Innocent Blush) or a blue bathroom (Skylight) and Kohler killed off their actual colors before I was ready to start.
    I was then all set to do an Ice Grey bathroom and their cast iron tubs suddenly no longer had the Ice Grey option.
    I bought probably the second last cast iron Ice Grey tub in America, it was delivered in a blizzard, and the pallet collapsed right inside the front door, so I had a bathtub sitting right inside the front door for two years until I was ready for it.
    (Of course now there’s a Chambers wall oven sitting in the same spot for an unknown period of time)
    Anyway, I am thinking of buying an Ice Grey toilet and storing it in the basement for parts.

3. Kathi Gosnell says:

So funny you should post this now. There’s been a Craigslist post from someone just down the street from us selling a pink sink and toilet and I’ve been talking myself out of running down there and saving them in our basement for the future (i.e. 10 years out) restoration of the totally 80s/90s bathroom in our addition. GAH! You’re such a bad influence… 😉

4. Carol says:

Hi Cindy, Chattanooga TN Craigslist has a pink cast iron bathtub for sale cheap. It looks great in the photos. I can’t remember if it’s a left or right. I don’t know if this area is convenient for you. It looks like the pink in your pics, but then again, there are so many pinks.

5. Wendellyn says:

I actually saw a pink bathroom sink with the original formica top attached on our local craigslist this past week. They only wanted $100.00 for both! After looking for two years for a lavender sink, I thought what a find! I did in fact email the lister and commented on how lovely the sink was. They kindly wrote back and explained their move on to a different look. I check craigslist at least two to three times a week. Good luck on her search and tell her not to give up!

6. Donald says:

I’ve been collecting blue fixtures for about a year. There are several different shades of blue so I just kept buying stuff until I finally had a set that I intend to use. Now I have a bunch of extra stuff that I need to sell. Look for me on FB marketplace if you’r in southern California!

7. Vintigchik says:

I love how the sticker on the pink tub says RR brand. Must mean Retro Renovation brand. Hey Pam how about a new line of vintage style fixtures?? ☺️ Would love a Cinderella tub!!

8. My 1955 pink-and-gray bathroom has the original gray tub and sink and did have a matching gray toilet, but when the toilet needed to be replaced, there was none to be found at the time. Our next-door neighbor was remodeling HIS “dated” pink bathroom. — yes, I privately questioned his sanity — and gave me his pink toilet. So now I have gray bathtub, gray sink, pink toilet. (And my neighbor has beige.)
    One dismaying thing I learned: at least some ReStores have the policy of not accepting toilets that aren’t sufficiently “low-flow.” Yes, I’m all about saving resources and protecting the environment and all, but a few relics from the previous century aren’t going to use up all the water. (Policy varies by store.)

9. Suzanne Moe says:

My kids like to make fun of me because I keep finding really cool vintage colored bathroom fixtures on CL or other places and persuade my husband to go pick them up and store them in our machine shed for future projects. I sheepishly, yet proudly admit that I currently have 3 blue shower receptors, a pink Cinderella tub, and three-piece tub/sink/toilet sets in both pink and aqua. I would have had a lavender tub too, but the salvage store forgot to mark my name on it (even after I paid) and sold it to someone else the day before my hubby went to pick it up. Most of these items are earmarked for the four planned bathrooms in our 1905 farmhouse, which had plumbing first installed in the late 40s. My husband says he’ll never stop bringing me bathtubs, as long as they make me happy!

10. Evan Degenfelder says:

I would probably give my eye teeth for that medicine cabinet with lights. *sigh*
    I have to keep campaigning for colored fixtures for the restoration of our 1947 rancher. My husband is scared to death that color—other than white—will hurt resale value. I’m not giving up…

11. greasycat says:

Another possibility is to talk to a plumbing contractor. They often take the old ones out of homes to replace with new ones. The plumbing company in my small town has a small lot beside his building with usually half a dozen sinks and toilet stored there before they are ultimately disposed of. I have seen pink, and blue and even a black toilet in the lot there.