C

Cracked ice countertop laminate — high gloss — four colors — and where to get it now

Cracked ice laminate, made new, in four retro colors, has been available all these years. But, it has not always been easy to find. Now, it’s easier than ever to get samples and to buy. And, it’s high gloss!

Thanks to reader Lis, who tipped me that this Wilsonart-made laminate is now available direct from Wilsonart via their Virtual Design Library. I ordered my 8 x 10″ samples last week, and they came a flash.

All glossy! Oops, I forgot to order the fourth color, grey, so it’ snow shown in my photo at the top. But, there’s gray too!

The four colors are:

Cracked ice laminate was one of the first designs of laminate ever on the market. I believe that Formica was first out with it, their name was Mother of Pearl. If you are doing a 1940s or 1950s kitchen — a ‘mid-century modest’ rather than ‘mid-century-modern’ kitchen, and these fit your color palette, they are a treasure of an option.

Once you examine your samples from Wilsonart and make your choice, order the sheets themselves from Home Depot or another retailer such as Heffron’s, which can also fabricate custom countertops for you.

See all of Wilsonart’s Retro VDL designs here

CategoriesCountertops
  1. Debbie in Portland says:

The house next door to me was remodeled in the early 1950’s, and the light blue cracked ice countertops are still there, in pristine condition. The house has sold three times in the 30 years I’ve lived here, and each time I’ve introduced myself to the new owners, I’ve worked those countertops into the conversation. “Oh, and if you ever decide to remodel? Yeah, let me know, I can come over and take those babies off your hands for you!”

2. NICKIE says:

Oh! I am so excited I have a chrome Table that needs a new top, it has red cracked ice. I just ordered samples from WilsonArt! Thank you for posting this!

1. Lori says:

Who do you use to put a new laminate inside the chrome? I would like to buy the boomerang but I don’t know how to do it myself or who would k ow how.

3. Mary Elizabeth says:

Lovely laminate! And I also love the Pennsylvania folk art table cloth they are sitting on–I have four of them, two of which are going to become valances for my kitchen.

1. Joan Becich says:

Hello Mary Elizabeth,

Are those Pennsylvania folk art tablecloths available somewhere?

They are so charming!

4. Vintigchik says:

I’m thinking of doing the green(fav color)! Wish they had a jadeite green though and they don’t have a matching vinyl for the green:(

5. Maria says:

I’m curious, does it have that mother of pearl quality you see in the old versions of cracked ice or is it the pattern style?

6. sherree says:

I just ordered the samples!
    I have no idea where I would use it but just had to see them “in case” a project comes up. Maybe the chrome dinette in my basement family room?
    Thanks for sharing Pam.