Where to find towel bars that attach to bathroom sink legs

Where to find towel bars that attach to the chrome legs on vintage bathroom sinks? The question came up twice last week, so here’s the answer based on my research and knowledge. Above: The gorgeous yellow Crane bathroom sink with chrome legs and towel bars in my neighbor’s house.

Melita [ of this awesome kitchen ] wrote:

My neighbor Duane and Mary’s other bathroom. About the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. See all of it here.

Dear Pam,

I am looking for bathroom sink towel bars, just the bars or the bars with the legs. Do you know of any source? I don’t mean the new expensive Restoration Hardware type that goes on the Kohler sinks, just the old type ones. I replaced a sink that had the legs and the towel bars separately. I kept the towel bars and got new legs (Amazon, about $50), but there is no way to attach the bars on the new sink… The old one was the ‘skirt’ type and the towel bars were attached on the skirt edge/lip. The new sink has a flat bottom which does not provide any point to attach the bars. So on to a hunt for new bars, I go. 

All help appreciated. And as always, I LOVE your blog/website!!!!!! Now on the 10th year?! Time flies…

Thanks much,

Thank you, Melita.  

Alas, the answer is not so easy: I know of no one making these new. You need to stalk vintage. They do come up now and again on ebay. But, folks tend to know they have some treasure, and the beauties don’t come cheap. Somewhere in my hoard, I have a New Old Stock American Standard set, complete. This story might inspire me to cash out my treasure!

Above: Vintage Crane towel bar for sink legs, looks like you’d need to cut down one towel bar (or find other towel bars the right depth) and also find escutcheons for the wall. Hmmm.

Note: All the links to ebay in this story are affiliate links that earn me a wee commission if you click and buy.

Above: Vintage towel bar for sink legs — different design, looks complete. Interestingly, there were a variety of ways that the towel bars attached to the sink legs.

Above: Vintage towel bar for sink legs — another design, I don’t understand how this one works.

Update: I did more research and found an ebay seller who kindly showed photos of how this works. 

Need the brass clips — then, look for the notchy underneath to clip everything into. 

Above: Vintage towel bar for sink legs — yup, another of that design that needs clips; presumably they come with if you are buying NOS like this

Crane Drexel legs and attached towel bars, this seller says, yummmm, although the wall escutcheons are missing.

Maybe: Buy a whole sink just for the towel bars? This towel bar is very pretty!

1950s bathroom
I found my sink, with its original chrome legs and integral towel bars, by placing an ad in the local newspaper. I paid $65.

Moral of this story:

If you can find a complete sink — complete with legs, towel bars and wall escutcheons — your life will be easier. 

Need other sink stuff? See all my Bathroom Sink research here.

  1. Dan says:

    Those two you don’t understand – looks like they are designed to clamp directly on to the bottom side lip of the sink, and do not attach to the chrome legs.

  2. Ken Buzzell says:

    If you can’t wait to locate what you need, you can go to local machine shop to have connections/adaptors made. You’ll need accurate measurements and easy to understand drawings to make the process easier though.
    Grampas Antique Kitchen

  3. Barbara says:

    I will be the first in line to buy your set from you Pamela.
    You have my email.
    I have been looking 2 years for a full-set.
    I love…this look!!

  4. Pam Kueber says:

    okey dokey but…. I am going for pricing gusto on it, as it’s really heavy duty gorgeous New Old Stock… and because weebit has law school bills now!

  5. Suzanne Miceli says:

    Hi, Pam!

    I just bought those clamp-on towel bars from ebay and I’m going to figure out a way to attach them to the legs if it kills me. I’ll keep you posted!


  6. Tom Wyatt says:

    Appropo of absolutely nothing…has anyone else noticed that the sink appears to be staring at you (or maybe I forgot to take my meds, this morning)?

  7. Maria says:

    Are there different model #s or are they a universal fit by brand? I have a 1959 American Standard wall sink, and it does have the holes for legs, but are they different by year or model #s?

Leave a Reply

Commenting: Information

All comments are moderated, generally within 24 hours. By using this website you are agreeing to the site's >> Terms of Service, << which include commenting policies, and our >> Privacy Notice. << Before participating, read them in full.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.