L

Living Vicariously Mondays – today with L.A. Greg and his beautifully restored 1962 contemporary

Not much for me to say about this place – Greg’s contemporary in Granada Hills, California.

Beautiful! Love love love the light fixtures – are they all one ‘set’? Where did you find them? Ooooh, I see you even kept your cottage cheese ceiling!

I particularly like how Greg has kept his color palette simple — taupey/grey paint on the paneled walls with the same tonality reflected in the grasscloth, some olive, black, white and brown — all accented by punches of orange dancing throughout.

vintage moe honeycomb lightsGreg, in a Comment – can you share your paint colors, and your grasscloth source/design?

Do you love those orange lights? They are Moe Honeycombs — see the catalog pages that I posted here.

What TLC and tidy, too! Are those starburst door fittings on the front door?

Here is more from Greg:

This place was built in 1962, adjacent to the Knollwood country club in Granada Hills, CA. I have researched every lighting fixture, cabinet knob and drawer pull. I had to because it had all been “updated” by the seller 2 years ago, and all vintage lighting and hardware was thrown out. I selected almost every light out of early 60’s Moe Lighting and Progress Lighting catalogs.

I still need kitchen tiles replaced and a better floor put in, but it works for now. Hope you like it!

Greg McKinney

PS: I have a selection of original-restored wall clocks and lighting for sale, should anyone be interested.

Welcome to the Retro Reno gang, Greg and thanks so much for sharing your home!

1. Greg says:

To Vintiegirl:

Yes, those are Witco chess piece wall hangings. I would have a lot more Witco but as you see there is no wall room left around here!

2. 50sPam says:

Thanks for all the info, Greg. Can you send me more pics of the house? We are total voyeurs, what can we say? Hey, the blue Moe light from KY sold for $455. Is that typical or are we now cumulatively causing price escalation?

3. Greg says:

That blue Moe sold for a freakish amount (and it was not retractable, it was on a chain). I paid about $125. I have an extra orange retractable in my stock, which is a combination retractable and swag in one, so it doesn’t have to be wired into a junction box. It may need rewiring but is otherwise in good shape. Be careful on shipping, as the glass diffuser tends to rub and crack during shipment. Request it be removed and packed separately.

I also have the matching wall sconce, and a drum shaped fixture for use in a utility room. I hope to put those up soon– then this place will look like a Moe showroom. They made many styles of that “Honeycomb” pattern, and in 4 color varieties over the years.

More pictures will be arriving soon. Lots of landscaping, cabinet hardware and appliance photos to show you.

4. Pingback:Retro Renovation » Leslie’s kitschy dreamboat time capsule in California

1. Steve Eden says:

Leslie and Aaron, your time capsule is just amazing! I just voted for it in the LA Conservancy contest. We own an Eichler in Thousand Oaks and love the Eichler tract near you in Granada Hills. We know your house and always admire it when we drive by it. We almost bought the time capsule just a couple of houses from you that was for sale a couple of years ago. I wish we had! Anyway, thanks for sharing, love love love your place! Steve

5. kittymommy says:

I am in awe of your home, Greg! I recently bought a 1961 Ranch from its original owners and, luckily, they did very little updating! However, they did replace several lighting fixtures and I do want to replace those. So far, I found this. Is it “age appropriate” for my home? Where did you find the reference materials to guide you in your purchases? I’m a complete novice and could use some help! Here’s the link: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2734685699_a24905eaa9_o.png

Thanks! -Susan

6. atomicbowler says:

Oh, wow…Oh, wow…

Bravo, Greg, on a truly beautiful job. The love and passion sing so proudly from the quality of the work and attention to detail!

There is an old saying that it’s not the boat the person has, but truly vice-versa. In this case I think we could surely all agree that it’s not just the house this person has, but the person the house does.

Really wonderful!

Laura and Dave

7. astrosonical says:

This entire house is my happy place! Incredible! The hanging light in the dining room is a fantasy of mine, I notice he has two stereos, my kind of people! It looks like it was decorated in 1962, great job of research!

8. Steve Eden says:

Hey Greg, your pad is amazing! We live in an Eichler in Thousand Oaks and just love mid-centuiry modern! I have a lamp very similar to the one you have in your living room, a thrift store find at $6.99! We love the Eichler tract in Granada Hills, just across from Knollwood, and of course we LOVE Knollwood also. I love Leslie and Aaron’s time capsule there! Thanks for sharing!

9. Julie Jacobson says:

Oh! That living room makes me feel happy. Those are my colors. Love the painting over the fireplace. I seem to recall one of those “off-center” fireplaces being destroyed on a recent HGTV design show. What a shame. This is such a great example of making retro look very, very cool.