U

Use a decorative, mid-century living room screen as a headboard

troy uses a decorative living room screen as a headboardHere is a great idea from the ever-inspirational reader SF Troy. I recently checked in with him to see what has been going on in his Bay Area Eichler home. He said that he’s been very busy riding his bike in fundraisers — yay, Troy! — and only recently has settled back inside to contemplate the next wave of house projects. But he did say he recently visited The Midway Antique Mall in Sacramento, where he purchased this decorative, four-panel mid century screen — which he easily repurposed into a headboard. Brilliant! It looks great behind the bed.

mid century modern decorative screen used as a headboard

Another idea: Use the decorative lattice screen (pvc) available from Acurio Latticeworks to craft your own Troy-style headboard.

mid century modern living room screen used a headboard

I also want to point out how Troy is quite genius in his mixing of texture and geometric design: Big geometric in the rya (?) rug… Tight stripes on the bed… Small midmod on the screen… Amorphous lamps… wide stripes on the ceiling. There is a lot of pattern going on in this room — but none of it is clashy clashy, it’s all carefully orchestrated, piece-by-piece. Thank you, Troy — as usual!

More inspiration from Troy:

1. Elizabeth S says:

Beautiful! Great idea!
    We used some vintage mid-century Ranch style triple window doors we salvaged and couldn’t use as doors. Two sit great behind a king sized bed and we even frosted the windows and lit it from behind. Great accent light!
    It looks great!

2. Just another Pam says:

Lovely room! I’ve always loved screens as a headboard and so wish I was graceful enough to have cactus anywhere near me when I’m walking, so pretty.

3. Jenny says:

Troy, your bedroom looks amazing! I love the screen behind the bed and am also jealous of those lamps. I also love the cacti. The whole thing looks really pulled together. Great job!

4. vintigchik says:

I have been looking for a screen like this for years. They seem to be very elusive around here, but I keep holding out hope. I want to use one to hide a huge TV that my husband has. I hate big ugly TVs. Anyways, I’ll keep waiting, but this is another great idea 🙂

5. regreta says:

We have the same Drexel night stands. Love the way you beefed up the profile so they aren’t dwarfed by a larger bed. Bravo!

6. TappanTrailerTami says:

Gorgeous bedroom Troy! I love your lamps and the screen, and all the different, yet cohesive patterns. I swear, some of the RR readers are soooo much better at decorating than the “paid for” designers.

As for the Midway Antique Mall, what a FUN FUN place that is – a true mecca of just about anything MCM/Modest you could wish for.

Well done Troy! – from a fan in San Jose (guess we are neighbors almost!)

Tami

7. JKaye says:

Thanks for showing previous posts on Troy and his home. Loved the post on his collections. What a great way to hang ties. Also, those little guys on the counter are the Frisch’s Big Boys, I think. That’s a restaurant chain here in the Ohio/Kentucky area — is it in other parts of the country? We have a Frisch’s just a couple miles from our house, with a gigantic Big Boy out front, maybe 20 feet tall. A little too big for Troy’s collection. On the other hand, if anyone could figure out how to tastefully include a gigantic Big boy in the decor, I think it would be Troy. Excellent work.

1. Jana (Berniecat) says:

JKaye,
      I too am from the midwest and actually have one of the bigger “Big Boys” pictured in Troy’s collection. I’ve had him since I was 5 and got him from Azar’s Big Boy restaurant in Ft. Wayne, IN. They also had a huge BiG Boy stature in front of the restaurant. 🙂