A

A house full of 400 vintage appliances: Crazy cool!

“… Yes… we’re obsessed… but in positive way…”

This video is INSANE! This couple, Robert and Fred, have collected $40,000 worth of vintage appliances — a total of 400 appliances — including vintage Mixmasters, Hoover vacuums, Constellations, toasters. And, they have like 26 washers and dryers in their 1,200 basement alone. They now never use a washing machine made after 1965. These are our kind of people! Thanks to reader Amanda for the tip! Click on through to watch –>

1. RAnderson says:

Thanks for the warm welcome Pam! I have to say that the Mid- Century Modest Manifesto here is one of the most sensible (and good for the earth!) things that I’ve read in a long time! We agree so much, that we’ve got TWO mid ’50s ranchers, both under 1000 sq ft: one that we live in, and one that our son rents from us. They’re the kind of houses we grew up in back in the 50s, and we feel so at home in our little tract house. Like the ’50s lady, we’re sort of in love with the period, and almost everything we have, from appliances to hi-fi to cars to furniture, are of that era. We don’t do the clothes thing though! lol. So sincerest thanks for making a place where the era can be preserved and appreciated! And if anyone has ANY questions at all about buying, owning and maintaining vintage stoves, fridges, dishwashers, laundry machines, or small appliances, please do come to Robert’s website, we just love to share and help all who enjoy them. And owning vintage is more practical than you think! It’s a group of good and helpful people, just like here! RogerA in NY

2. ChrisH says:

Robert thanks for the link to your website, I’ll be checking it out. I like people with harmless obsessions. I have 35 vintage bicycles, but I’m almost normal compared to you 🙂

3. Chris says:

Wow! This is just to glorious and marvelous for words! I love each and every appliance and the fact that they ALL work and they use them is incredible to me!! What a find! I would love to know more about how they find them and what they do to keep them in tip top working shape. Loooove that dishwasher that you can see into while it’s washing!!
    Great article!!

4. Chris says:

side note. . makes me feel better about my obsession with vintage cook books!! loooooooove them! They could use of my cookbooks to find a recipe and use all their kitchen appliances to make it!

5. J D Log says:

Wow love the video and website great to see you guys use them as well. I use all my 50’s stuff as well but one of the few modern items I still have is a washing machine but this is making me really think lol

6. Lisa says:

I watched this the other night and fell in love with the collectors. This couple did a wonderful job designing their home and making their collection easily accessable for use and enjoyment.

Think about it. They collect appliances. Appliances are big. Yet they have managed to create uncluttered displays which are a pleasure to look at.

7. Deb says:

This is such a cool story. I have a toaster question for Robert and Fred. I was just at a real estate open house of a time capsule home. It had an Iron-A-Way toaster built into the wall. Have you ever seen one? Maybe you own one. I found one image online, but no information. Thanks for your help.

8. Barb S. says:

Wow! Their house is EEEE-maculate! I’ll have to have that dishwasher one day. And how many of us would trade in our energy saving front-loaders for one of those vintage washing machines? Me, please!

9. Cathleen says:

Well, thankfully they are neat-freak hoarders! LOL Maybe they could open their house up as a sort of appliance museum and charge a fee! 🙂