T

The Mullinaires sing the praises of Youngstown kitchen cabinets, 1953

mullinaires youngstown kitchens
I first featured this absolutely priceless 1953 video seven year ago this week: “The Mullinaires” singing the praises of Youngstown steel kitchen cabinets.For this update, I did some more digging and discovered that The Mullinaires were all Mullins employees — they were officially “The Mullinaires — Mullins Manufacturing Corporation Chorus.”

Mullins, being: the company that manufactured Youngstown kitchen cabinets. Above: One of the several awesome historic photos of The Mullinaires in the Warren-Trumbull County (Ohio) Public Library’s Trumbull Memory Project site. Here’s my guess regarding the purpose of the video: Filmed — with very high production values, not to mention the bouncing sing-along ball — to play at a salesmen’s convention. An instant midcentury Americana classic.

TGIF, it’s been a long winter. Let’s take it from the conductor, prepare to sing along:

“Now we are going to sing a song dedicated to Youngstown Kitchens, which is the theme of this whole program!

Now you join with us, let’s everybody sing:

Here’s the word, here’s the flash

That will roll up loads of cash

Youngstown kitchens are keeping the lead.

Youngstown steel kitchen cabinetsDiana style is the key

To our new supremacy

Youngstown kitchens are keeping the lead.

We make more history

In the kitchen industry

Sales records we’ll pile up by the score.

For we’ve led the pack

Now we have what others lack

Watch the public come running for more.

Sinks are sleek, cabinets smart

Kitchens new in every part

Youngstown kitchens are keeping the lead.

Built-in look, smart designs

Smoother flowing modern lines

Youngstown kitchens are keeping the lead.

We will make history

With new flexibility

Our kitchens no others can exceed.

Just watch us sell

Give the competition hell

Youngstown kitchens are keeping the lead.

Many thanks to archive.org for making this video available, and to the Warren-Trumbull Public Library for giving us permission to show this photo! 🙂

Read our history of vintage steel kitchen cabinets —
70+ brands identified to date! — here

1. Laura Carpenter Myers says:

I grew up in Youngstown as the glory days were waning. It was still an incredible place.

I get very nostalgic for Youngstown Cabinets whenever I see them.

2. Janice says:

My husband’s dad Chuck Hill was a salesman at Mullins and sang in the Mullinaires. Those were the days when the Mahoning Valley was thriving. Unfortunately those are days gone by.

3. Shari D says:

I just found this while doing a little poking around looking for material for my Pinterest board on Youngstown and other major brand steel kitchen cabinets. So fun! I read through the lyrics, before ever watching the video (I still haven’t yet) and found myself humming the tune in my head, from the middle of the second verse, just from the meter of the rhyme! I guess having a bit of musical background puts stuff like that in my head up front!
    I can sing lyrics to songs I’ve never ever heard before sometimes, just from knowing the theme, the meter, the pattern, the previous rhyme as it goes along, and stuff like that. I don’t sing it well, mind you, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have a little fun with it! I’ve always been a subscriber to the idea that you don’t have to play piano like Jose Iturbi, or sing like Beyonce to enjoy doing it!

4. Lisa says:

What a lark! Must have been a wonderful way to celebrate company loyalty and generate company dynamics. Reminds me of ol’ Mr. Mitch Miller. Thanks for moment of nostalgia!

5. Robin, NV says:

I’m trying to imagine company employees doing the same today. Boy times have changed. I got to watch a Chief Petty Officer frocking a few months ago. All of the CPO candidates have to enter the ceremony singing Anchors Away. It was very stirring. We need more stuff like this.

6. Andi says:

Oh my gosh, times have changed, haven’t they? I LOVED this. That white bouncing ball (a la Sing Along with Mitch) and a chorus of men in bow ties singing about giving the competition hell!

Hummed along and followed the bouncing ball over every word with my morning (late morning!) coffee.

FUN! Thanks, Pam, for the flashback!

7. Jay says:

What an apropriate way to end the week at RR. Those were the days! Although this was a group of company employees, many corporations hired production companies to stage elaborate Broadway style shows for sales conventions to motivate the sales group or to wow the prospective client. Thanks for sharing!

1. Janet in ME says:

Allen, Diana was the Roman goddess of the hunt, which is why she is shown with the bow and arrow. She was also the goddess of childbirth, woodlands, and the moon, and was said to be able to communicate with wildlife. I am not quite sure why they picked her for their logo, but maybe because she was the goddess for women. Her twin brother Apollo was the god of the sun, which is kind of what the background seems to represent to me. Great article, Kate! And yes, I sang along to it – made me feel like I was back in elementary school!

2. pam kueber says:

The “Diana” style was a particular style of sink base that Youngstown put a lot of effort behind. The top part was rounded. The sink bases came in many sizes (widths) and configurations (different mash ups of doors and drawers.) I believe that the sink top came with.

See this example (from whence we cropped the logo): https://retrorenovation.com/2012/04/09/whats-old-is-new-and-whats-new-looks-old-brian-keris-7000-retro-kitchen-remodel/

And this one: https://retrorenovation.com/2014/03/11/vintage-dishmaster-kitchen-faucet-installed/

Comments are closed.