vintage-bathroom-blueYesterday I flagged to readers that the longtime owners of B&W Tile have put the business up for sale. We sure hope the new owners continue making all the delicious pastel tile colors, which are real go-tos in our Retro Renovation world. To show just how delicious these tiles are, I scrubbed the archives for some of the reader projects using B&W Tile that we have featured over the years. Above: The blue bathroom above is Nanette and Jim’s.

vintage pink bathroomAbove: Nanette and Jim also did a pink bathroom.

https://retrorenovation.com/2014/01/22/white-cabinets-linen-paint-kitchen/Above: Managing Editor Kate did almost all the work to build her pink bathroom with B&W Tile.

vintage pink bathroom afterAbove: Jim mixed pink and black tile in his bathroom.

Above: Janice mixed pink with black too.

Above: Marsha used pink and maroon tiles to retile the shower — the colors worked well with the original peachy pink tiles in the rest of her bathrooom.

midcentury bathroomAbove: Check out the gorgeous burgundy trim tile — along with matching soap- and toothbrush holders — from B&W that Dana used to trim her tile-in sink. I think that some of the pink tile also is from B&W.

vintage mint green bathroom
Above: Laura used two colors of B&W green tile to renovate her lovely bathroom.

Above: Graham and Monika used green 1 x 6 tiles from B&W to create this delightful wall tile pattern. They wall tile pattern was inspired by a bathroom inside Hof’s Hut, a popular restaurant in Long Beach, California. Gorgeous!pink and green vintage bathroomAbove: Jane combined kiwi green and pink in the gorgeous little bathroom she designed for her mother.

vintage yellow kitchenAbove: Carolyn used yellow B&W tile for the countertop and backsplash and maroon B&W tile for the trim in her gorgeous kitchen — lots more photos here. The sizzle strips are vintage.

More info:

1. Mary Elizabeth says:

Thanks for doing this retrospect of the B&W tile baths your readers have done over the years. I think my favorite mid-century bath colors will always be pink and black, pink and maroon, and green and yellow. Let’s hope they all are available from B&W for a long time! Can we have any influence on that decision by the new owners?

2. Kathy in San Leandro says:

I’d love to hear from folks who used B&W tile how their tile has held up. I’m particularly interested in how Carolyn’s kitchen counter looks today, as I dream of a tiled counter in my kitchen. B&W is one of the very few companies to still make 4″ hexagons in period colors.

B&W’s website notes that their tiles are not suitable for use on the floor.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

1. cathie says:

Oh, Kathy, don’t go there, please!. They are a nightmare. Grungy grout will be your new best friend. I’m sure you will do some online research in advance of taking this on, so may I suggest you do a search on Apartment Therapy and read the many, many negative comments on this product as a countertop choice. I removed mine (4×4″‘s) about 3 years ago and am more happier with the old plywood that was left underneath them than I was with the tile. Still haven’t replaced them, but at least they’re gone. Laminate, laminate, laminate! Cheap, looks good and there are several retro choices.

1. Marta says:

Consider how you use your kitchen before installing tile countertops. In some ways, they are fab; heat resistant, non-staining, etc.

However, if you knead bread, do a lot of shaped cookie baking, rolling out piecrust, etc., they are NOT your friend. You’ll need a comfortable kitchen table or a big piece of marble or wood to do those tasks, and if your kitchen is small, that may not be possible.

3. Honey Pace says:

What about the small black and white tiles used in kitchens and baths ~
    Our 2 baths have those floors ~ basket weave
    And our friends kitchen has the little tiles laid out like little houses ~

1. Pam Kueber says:

Yes, especially in prewar and early postwar. For wall tiles after WWII, pastel 4x4s were predominant, though.

4. GLORIA TRUMBLE says:

Kathy,

I could not disagree more with Cathie. I replaced my 4 x 4 kitchen counter tiles 6 years ago with B&W tiles in a Jadite color. Yes, grout can get stained and dirty, but it is fairly effortless if you use Clorox bleach spray (or similar product) once a week and let it sit on the tile for 5 minutes. No stain.
    B&W tiles are of high quality and the staff is very helpful. I am lucky enough to live 1.5 hours away and plan a trip there next week for new bathroom tile.

1. Pam Kueber says:

Gloria, I recommend checking with B&W to find out what they recommend to clean grout. I am not sure about bleach and how it might affect the finish of the tile over time.