Retro kitchen sinks from Kohler – cast iron, metal framed – my new #1 choice if you are buying new!

I don’t know if these were just recently introduced… or whether I missed them all this time…but these two sinks from Kohler are terrific, authentic choices for a 40s, 50s or 60s kitchen. Both sinks are cast iron. And of course — you MUST get the metal rim.

This selection now becomes my #1 choice for a kitchen sink, if you want white cast iron and don’t want to hunt down or wait for a vintage sink.

kitchen sink with metal rim hudee ring

The double-bowl Kohler Delafield is 32″ wide – and allows you to order up to 5 holes for your faucet, spray and other accoutrements.

hudee ring metal rim kitchen sink
The single-bowl Kohler Bakersfield is almost as wide. UPDATE Nov. 2010: DISCONTINUED.

Link: Kohler.com

Faucet choice

Elkay stainless steel sinks

Classic white sink/counter drainboard sinks:

Comments

1. dcgrl says

Pam,
    do you know if anyone sells just the metal rim to go around sinks? I have a fantastic, huge cast iron sink that I want to reuse after replacing our countertops, but a plumber I had in recently said I couldn’t because no one makes that edging anymore and it’s next to impossible to remove the sink without damaging it.

This can’t be true, can it?

Thanks!

• Pat Carroll says

contact Vance Industries for metal rims for vintage sinks like I did. They will have all the sizes you will possibly need to install your sink

dcgrl,

Check the sinks at Mac the Antique Plumber – but I don’t think that they have anything “huge”. Meanwhile, I will ask John at deabath.com what he has to say about this. Finally – I had four sinks removed when I acquired my kitchen. The rims came off fine, all except one. I think they can be salvaged with care…Let

3. dreamer says

Looking for a cast iron double bowl sink.

What I’d really like is HUGE Bowl on one side, long and wide enough and deep enough for cookie sheets and large pans. Bowl #2 would just be a small shallow one for the garbage disposal stuff

Cobalt blue would be PERFECT but I’d settle for PLAIN OLD WHITE 🙂

Any ideas??

4. PB says

I’ve got a large Kohler sink with a hudee rim in my laundry room and need to change out the countertop! Help! Can it be done? What’s involved?

5. Jason says

It looks like the single-bowl might still be available from faucetdepot.com – I just ordered one, anyway. I’ll let you all know if they get back to me and tell me it’s discontinued…

6. christina says

Hey – Love the Delafield double-bowl sink with metal rim, but I can’t find a basin protector for it. Do you have any idea where I can get one that fits? I can find some appropriately-sized protectors, but the drain hole looks like it’s in the wrong place…

7. Erin says

Hi Pam,

I am trying to order the Delafield sink and the lady I am ordering it from insists I need to use the drop-in instead of the tile-in version (K-5950-4-0) for laminate. Is she right? I want to put the metal frame around my sink and have it flush with my laminate and the drop-in version seems to have a raised edge.

Thanks for these resources. You can email me at the address I’ve used above.

Cheers,
    Erin

8. Erin says

K-5817-3-0 is the top-mounted (drop-in) version which looks like it could not ever be installed with a metal frame

9. Jackie Dennis says

I am doing a retro renovation on a 1960’s cottage on a lake in NNY. We are beginning to work on the kitchen. I found a cast iron kitchen sink with drain board and apron (wall hung) made by Sanford. I found it at http://www.signaturehardware.com. Have you heard anything about this company? It’s a very small kitchen, so a larger sink with double drain board (which I actually have in my crawl space) is unfortunately too big. Would love your thoughts and opinion. Love your website!!

10. Michael Colter says

Delafield still available in 32×21 size (which is 1″ smaller in each dimension than modern ‘standard’ sizing), as of March 2013. I’m ordering on and the trim ring. Part K5950-4 for the sink, white, 4 hole model, metal ring is K6601. Price $303 + $57 from Lowes, who discounts 1/3 off mfg’s retail prices. So this will come in at just $61 over a modern Kohler cast iron 2 bowl of similar size.

11. David says

We just got a time capsule 1961 ranch and are replacing the double bowl kitchen sink. Though there are alot of options out there be it acrylic or metal we cannot find anything that is bright yellow or close to it. All the colors seem to be muted and we need something to go with the laminate. Kohler has one, Picadilly yellow, but at over 900$ it out of our budget. Corstone acrylic Sunlight is great but is a discontinued color. Craigslist and ebay have turned up nothing good. Our only option now is to get a nice cheap stainless and when the right one comes along, buy it. Any ideas? We live in Marietta, Ga.