U

Updated: Kitchen sinks for a midcentury kitchen with metal rims / hudee rings — where to buy them

1950s kitchenUpdate (Jan. 2019). The Kohler Delafield sink remains my top choice for a new kitchen sink if you are aiming for a period-authentic Retro Renovation kitchen.  The faucets installed on the deck of the sink + the metal hudee ring + the enamel-on-cast-iron construction: This sink has been around for many decades, and we’re fortunate that Kohler keeps making it.

Readers, this prompts me to advise: On hard-to-find, unique-in-the-market items like these hudee-ring sinks… if you have have a project coming up in the next few years… then you might want to buy them once you know what you want… and store them away for later installation. Another case in point: Boomerang laminate by Formica. Get this stuff while the gettin’ is good, because we Retro Renovators are still a fringe-y market in the grand consumer scheme of things.

Where to buy hudee-ring (metal rim) kitchen sinks?:

kohler-delafieldAbove: My favorite – the double-bowl, porcelain-on-cast-iron Delafield. Link: Kohler Delafield Kitchen Sink and be sure to get the metal ring (affiliate links).

metal-rim-kitchen-sink-double-bowl

Above: And, Ceco offers several metal-rimmed (“flat rim”) kitchen sinks to consider.

CategoriesFaucets
  1. sheryl says:

We are trying to replace an avocado hudee ring double bowl sink. I believe it’s a Kohler, about 1970’s. Are you still trying to sell yours?

2. pam kueber says:

Sheryl, see my story on Vance Industries – use search box. They can get you a hudee any size you need.

3. Abby says:

Hi Sheryl,

Yes, I still have it. It’s sitting safely in our garage. Still has the original Moen faucet, too. I just can’t bear to get rid of it, but don’t really know what to do with it. It was installed in 1969 when the house was built. I just listed it on ebay so you can see pics and we can communicate directly and securely.

Abby

4. Krista says:

My supplier (and now a representative from Kohler) have both told me that the drop-in Delafield sink (the one with the flat rim and the hudee ring, called tile-in/metal frame) is tile-in only, that it cannot be installed over laminate with a hudee ring. Everything on this blog suggests that this isn’t true. What am I (or they) missing?

5. Pam Kueber says:

I see the hudee right on the bottom of the Kohler page with the Delafield –https://www.us.kohler.com/us/Delafield-32-x-21-x-8-1-2-tile-in-metal-frame-double-equal-kitchen-sink-with-4-faucet-holes/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/418805.htm

I also see it online at places like Home Depot.

I suggest you call Kohler directly.

6. Krista says:

Yes, I did. And they told me the same thing: tile-in only, that you can buy the flat-rim with sink rim but you can’t put it over laminate. It doesn’t make any sense. It’s like their spec sheet is wrong or something. I’ll try a different person there.

7. Pam Kueber says:

This stumps me. I just did a search of my own blog and can see at least two readers who have done it in the past. Perhaps they changed the design…?