bargello needlepoint pillow2010’s stories about mid century interior decoration cover a lot of territory: From basement shuffleboards… to blue bathrooms… to my big belief that bargello needlepoint pillows are a wonderful addition to a mid century home interior. Above: Reader Troy gets crafty and makes a bargello pillow of his very own. Continue on for more of my favorite stories from my “Decorating” category — which is kind of a catch all of miscellanea — this year…

vinyl tile shuffleboard

paint a shuffleboard

how to decorate a blue bathroom

I did my first several videos this year, including three videos about my blue bathroom, and another one on the stainless steel edging for my kitchen countertops:

greige laminate

Check out all the stories in my Decorating category here.

1. Gavin Hastings says:

You had sooooo many great posts this year, but “Graveyard of the Atlantic” was my personal favorite!
    Fifty years from now, I can see “In 2010, fashion reached its’ zenith with Pionite’s iconic “Graveyard of the Atlantic”……I want it -if for no other reason than the name.

2. Trouble aka Shane says:

I wish I could find a nice vintage ’50s couch, but I like lying on it in my underwear, watching TV…..those couches just aren’t compfortable for that! LOL

3. TroySF says:

Aw shucks, thanks Pam! It’s an honor to make your Best of 2010 list. And this reminds me, I have two pillow fronts now finished but haven’t a clue how to make them into pillows. 😉 Happy holidays from Ohio!

4. pam kueber says:

Yup, that name was terrific! Hey, I don’t fault Pionite in the least — in fact, they get major snaps for some of their retro style laminate introductions this year. Re: Greige, they were just delivering what the color trilateral commission demanded. Interestingly, Pantone’s color of the year 2010 was Turquoise and 2011’s color for all intents and purposes: Flamingo Pink. So much for the folks trying to convince us that all-greige interiors are desirable….

5. Jeff says:

Pam, I’ve always called it the “Griegey Gray” nation. LOL!!

If I see one more Pottery Yawn colorless palette, I think I’ll scream.

The French called it “En Grisailles” when referring to 18th century monochromatic painting.

It has it’s place- in a museum.

6. pam kueber says:

“En Grisailles” — I love it, that is a great art history reference, I feel smarter in my opposition already!

7. Gavin Hastings says:

Troy- if you have the time, patience and craftmanship to take on these projects:
    You can easily sew up these pillows yourself, with custom welting and zipper in less than one hour.
    Make up a few plain “test” pillows before attempting anything with your beautiful bargello. As a bonus-you will have learned a new skill that will see you through 100’s of projects. Read several different websites for instruction and next time you are in a Dept Store, go to domestics. Really look at the how a pillow is made and “de-construct it in your mind. You can do it!

8. pam kueber says:

Yes, Gavin… I made big cushion covers for my old wicker about 15 years ago, and it just takes patience. I think another key would be: Look for really good muted-shade velveteen or corduroy (muted = mimicking fading) for the backing. And for some reason today the pillow forms are crapola. What is the difference between the old and the new today? What’s inside those old ones, or how do we mimick that? Old panty hose?

9. Gavin Hastings says:

With Poly-Fil or nylons you are just going to get lumps.
    The best pillow inserts I have found are at Osgoods and they also carry down and feather blends. I also measure my pillow covering 1 inch less than the actual form, so that it is always looks ready to explode!

10. pam kueber says:

I see a trip to Osgoods in my very near future. In Q1, I think I’m going to do pinch pleats over pinch pleat sheers for the entire living room / dining room. Gulp. $$$$. But it’s time, as many of the other major major projects for the house are now complete, 9+ years in.